[Cialug] Kubuntu install problem

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Tue Jun 10 09:01:20 CDT 2008

I have a Windows PC I finally decided to install Linux on.  I used the
Kubuntu 7.10 disk I received when we all met at Raccoon River a few
months ago.  I have brought the system up with it as Live CD several
times in the past so I didn't anticipate any problems.

I have two physical disks in my machine.
	C: is 186Gigs with 7G unallocated
	E: is 500G with 200 formatted as E: and 300 unallocated

I started the install and it wanted a partition of at least 2 Gigs for
the software.  I formatted 10G as the default ex3 on the E: drive.  It
wanted at least 256M for swap space.  I formatted a partition of 2G as
swap, also on the E: drive.  I also formatted 150G as FAT32.  (Data
storage for exchange with Windows, I hope.)  I'm assuming that will show
up as F: when I have windows up.

The install then complained about not having a boot partition.  I
changed the ex3 partition to ex2 and the install proceeded.  It
mentioned that it couldn't find the network and didn't do security
updates but went on.

I rebooted, expecting to see a 'menu' of choices to boot from.  It did
go through the normal BIOS stuff and then said, "GRUB loading, please
wait" and then shortly said "ERROR 17".  Nothing happened after that.

HUMMMMMMMMM.  That wasn't what I expected.

So I powered the computer down and back up and tried booting from the
Live CD, rather than from the install.  That had given me the choice of
booting from the hard drive as well as several other choices.

Whether I clicked on booting from the primary local drive or from the
Live CD the following showed up on my screen.

Booting from local disk. . .
GRUB loading stage1.5.

I think then it said "GRUB loading, please wait"

And unfortunately after that I received

"ERROR 17"

So, now I can't boot the Live CD.
I can't boot from the installed Kubuntu.
I can't boot to Windows either.

So, what should I try when I get home tonight?
Thanks,

Murray McKee
Operating Systems Engineer
WFFIS - Wells Fargo Financial Information Systems
800 Walnut Street
MAC F4030-037
Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
WORK (515)557-6127 Cell (515) 890-9660  FAX (515) 557-6046
MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com
"This message may contain confidential and / or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein.  If you have received this
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation."