[Cialug] Fiber Internet

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Wed Jun 4 17:03:53 CDT 2008

Mike Staver wrote:

> It's been a LONG while since I had much time to chime in on this list, but
> I can't resist this one and I can't believe I'm posting this on a public
> list...

<big snip>

I had a problem this past year with Qwest's news server (or perhaps
somewhere upstream of that). After getting the run-around from the
customer service types (wasted more than six hours trying to convince
them that the problem was at Qwest and not my machine!), I got really
steamed.

A bit of web searching found me the e-mail address of a VP here in Iowa.
I got myself calmed down and wrote him a short e-mail describing my
experience in brief, apologizing for wasting his time on something so
trivial, and asked for help.

Next morning I had an apologetic response from him and a TLC call from a
technical services manager who had already resolved the problem
(hardware failure in Minneapolis) and who gave me his phone number and
an invitation to call him directly if I ever had another problem.

I had a problem with Comcast in getting new service in Philadelphia.
They sounded willing but somehow never managed to install the wiring -
in over a year. I finished up my project in Philly and was about six
months into another in San Jose, when I got a call on my cell phone to
let me know that the Comcast installer was on his way over to my
apartment. The gal on the other end was a bit miffed when I laughed in
her ear, but got really flustered when I asked how long she thought it'd
take the installer to drive to SJ...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar