[Cialug] IHDC: EdgeBCC

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 15:37:43 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Stephen Hawkins <ng0g at mchsi.com> wrote:
> The Hayward Fault (the one that runs down the east side of San Francisco Bay
> is waaaay over due.  The population density is very high and many of the
> buildings (especially in the northern half) are old. The damage from a 7 or
> larger will be catastrophic.  The 7.2 in 1989 was closer to the coast and
> about 40 miles south or there.

If only that were the sole concern... there are lots of faults in a
very dense (population & technology) area. I had the "pleasure" of
riding out a 5.6 on the Calaveras fault inside a datacenter (6,4mi
from the epicenter). A big one would really be a mess. Even though
there was no property damage, the cellular network melted under the
surge of calls and remained unusable for a good two hours afterwards.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2007/nc40204628/