[Cialug] Re: Suse upgrades and grub issues

Michael Watson n6wav at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 23:32:26 CDT 2008

This has been a problem since SuSE 10.0, IIRC.  I make a copy of the root partition on another disk, then when grub doesn't work, boot to the install DVD, mount the HDD root partition, copy the DVD /etc/grub.conf to /mnt/etc/grub.conf and modify, then either modify the new menu.lst or copy the old one over and change the kernel info + whatever, and install grub again.

I've had to do this more times to fix fubar'd Windoze partitions and failing HDDs than upgrades, and it's become second nature.  Lately the problem has been grub looks like it's using physical paths (remind me of Solaris) instead of the logical name, but if it's been the same problem all along escapes me.

And it frequently ends up with the wrong 'root hd(n,n)' info in menu.lst, too, come to think of it.

Not pretty.