[Cialug] Why changing the default ssh port is a good idea.

Dave Crouse crouse at usalug.net
Wed Jul 23 19:58:12 CDT 2008

[root at VistaCrusher1 ~]# lastb | awk '{print $3}' | sort --unique

121.14.5.209
123.140.215.92
124.42.50.54
125.164.202.240
193.23.52.17
193.33.171.66
208.65.156.53
210.146.9.109
210.176.26.185
210.221.148.223
210.51.171.74
211.160.40.29
211.33.57.138
212.90.168.161
217.199.186.93
218.38.56.181
219.122.33.3
222.195.137.249
52.26.222.203.st
61.114.236.22
74.10.24.182
83.103.170.158
83.168.89.246
89.238.203.66
Sun
c-24-5-182-18.hs
mail.zdr.ru
mail3.gus.net
martinjajcaj.vps
mvx-200-201-183-
n220246012106.ne
security.isd.com
[root at VistaCrusher1 ~]#

I thought it was fun to see how many hits I would get......... more
than I expected.
IP tables is another way to drop those idiots as well.  Nothing on the
server yet.
Guess I'd better go get that ssh config file changed ;)