[Cialug] OT: 10 Gigabit Ethernet

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Jul 22 18:49:13 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Paul Gray <gray at cs.uni.edu> wrote:

> Neal Daringer wrote:
>> now if only hard disks could read/write as these speeds independently
>
> Hard drives?  Bah!  Plug it directly into my memory bus, thanks.
>
> By the way, no one's mentioning Infiniband, and that's really a shame.
> Why? Because 10 Gigabit Ethernet IS STILL ETHERNET!

Damn straight... Ethernet may not be the "best" networking technology
but it's ubiquitousness and it's ability to scale to these monstrous
speeds is what makes it compelling.

> ... Our cluster's doing 16Gbps on the backend with 4x IB connections.

With 4x the electronics and 4x the cabling.  Don't get me wrong, or
supercomputer applications or other high performance uses something
other than Ethernet may be the way to go.  But for network jockeys
like me having everything being Ethernet is a major blessing.  I just
wish that I could get Ethernet delivered to my home for something
approximating what I currently pay for my DSL service.

Jeff