[Cialug] software freedom day

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Mon Jul 21 10:55:23 CDT 2008

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Barry Von Ahsen <barry at vonahsen.com> wrote:
>
>> so now that the picnic is history, time to think about software freedom day.
>>  we're already registered for September 20, 2008, which is not Iowa-Iowa
>> State this year, woo!
>>
>> anybody have thoughts for location?  Urbandale and West Des Moines libraries
>> are always an option, but somewhere new might be nice
>>

> So out of curiosity, what is the goal? Meaning at the end of the day,
> if we've achieved X we'll consider it a tremendous success (but we'll
> settle for Y and still be glad we did it).

Historically... we've done Linux Installfests and / or SFD for a long
time (10 years?). Some of the early ones we had around 25 people bring
PC's in. Lately it's been a lot less - like we were lucky if we got 5
people there with PC's to get installed. I think it's mostly because of
installing Linux is so much easier now than it was 10 years ago, and we
really haven't done much or any promotion.

I'd say it would be great if we could get participation back up into the
20's again, but that might be too optimistic.

-dc