[Cialug] Emergency help.. What to remove to get disk space

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 12:31:05 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Jason Walsh <jpw27 at netins.net> wrote:
> Having run dpigs, it's pretty much the same as this dpkg-query, but here it
> is anyway.
> dpkg-query -W -f='${Installed-Size} ${Package} | sort -nr | less

As I understand it, Debian packages have this concept of of
"priority".  Some packages have a priority of "optional".  They're not
essential to system functioning, but you may want them, like docs.

I've been trying for the past 30 minutes or so to find a way to list
only installed and optional packages.  So far I've gotten this:

apt-cache show `dpkg -l | cut --delimiter=" " --fields=3` |grep -A 1 Package

I know debianese about as well as I know German ("Hallo Welt!"), and
if it involves awkery I'm lost.  So maybe someone else can refine.

-todd