[Cialug] Qwest Actiontec M1000 + Netgear WGR614 Router = Double NAT :-(

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Wed Jul 16 15:52:10 CDT 2008

Neal Daringer wrote:
> what exactly is bridged mode on a dsl modem?
>
> /me is a dsl noob that will be switching to dsl on the 29th

It has to do with where the IP address that you are assigned 'lives'.

The majority of providers use PPP to hand out addresses and control user
authentication so when you set the modem to bridged mode you can use
another router behind it to log in to the service and handle your
firewalling etc.

Most modems have the capability to do PPP logins and have their own
firewalling and wireless built in now.

dave