[Cialug] OT - Job Posting - Monitoring Tech

Matt Patterson matt at usrlocal.com
Mon Jul 14 14:00:05 CDT 2008

Hey gang,

I'm sure Josh is going to give me crap about posting a few messages but
not showing up for meetings for the last 5 months.  Like this week, when I
will yet again miss the meeting =(

I'm not sure if anyone is in the job market or not.  But we're looking for
a monitoring tech to basically be our monitoring department at LightEdge.
Some research and development has been done already but there is
a LOT to be done.  You'll have the opportunity to make a big impact at a
fast growing company.  The monitoring system is all Linux based so I'm
hoping that someone in this group will be interested.

Here's the full job description:

Primary Duties:

The Monitoring Technician will be responsible for managing the daily
operations of LightEdge monitoring systems. This person will interact with
several different Operational departments and will be responsible for
formulating processes and procedures related to monitoring of customer and
internal systems. Person will be responsible for working with engineering
to develop new monitoring system based on Zenoss OSS platform and
migration of current systems to new platform.

Experience and Skills desired:

-High level experience with open source monitoring tools (Zenoss,
Cacti, Nagios, Zabbix, RRDtool)

-High level experience with reporting systems (Sawmill, Crystal
Reports, syslog data)

-Monitoring related protocols (SNMP polling, SNMP traps, WMI)

-Understanding of monitoring concepts (alerting, thresholding,
escalations, custom scripting/checks)

-Understanding of how to monitor devices (Windows servers, Linux servers,
Solaris servers, Cisco routers, Cisco switches, Cisco ONS,  Juniper routers,
Adtran MUXs, APC power strips, etc)

-Minimal experience with database systems (Mysql, Microsoft SQL) required

-Some programming experience (C, Perl, PHP) beneficial but not required

If you are interested, feel free to send me a resume at my work address
(mpatterson at lightedge.com)

-Matt