[Cialug] git in structured environment

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Jul 11 08:40:18 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Though this svn:mergeinfo support should make merges less
> painful...when finally implemented.  Though, using a property for
> merge info seems like a cheap hack to me.  In git the merge commit has
> two parent commits which intrinsically and permanently links the
> merge.  A number of the outstanding issues seem entirely expected for
> a tacked-on solution.  I'm being smug.  :)

It *is* a cheap hack.  I've used the predecessor "svnmerge" script
before (as I said it's in heavy use by Digium on Asterisk).  Basically
what it does is use a special property to keep track of what
changesets have been "merged" into the current branch.  And by
"merged" I mean extract a diff from the changeset on the other branch
and apply the diff to the current branch and commit it if there were
no conflicts.  The svnmerge script kept the log message (mostly) but
the committer ID would be whoever ran the svnmerge script.  The
svnmerge script would also merge several changesets on the other
branch into a single commit on the branch being merged into.  Not very
friendly if you're trying to do a blame/annotate type operation.

Jeff