[Cialug] Telecom Immunity

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:42:40 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Nathan Stien <nathanism at gmail.com> wrote:

> Either the constitution allows this spying crap and the other usurpations,
> or it has been powerless to stop them.  In either case, I must question its
> usefulness; the Soviet Union "guaranteed" free speech in their constitution,
> too.

[I'm not going to bother with marking off topic as it's pretty blatant. :) ]

The constitution does not allow such powers, which means the executive
branch has overstepped their granted powers, the legislation failed to
reign the executive branch in, and the judicial branch fails to strike
the unconstitutional statutes.  Checks & balances failed because men
are fallable.

The people have failed to keep their republic under their control by
being fine with "the lesser of two evils" (i.e., republican vs.
democrat).  Blame Bush, Congress, and the judges all you want but it's
the people who ultimately have failed to -- in the words of the motto
of Iowa -- prize their liberty and maintain their rights.  If you
think the republicans are to blame then look no further than the
current democratic party presidential candidate (Obama voted for
immunity) to see you're only fooling yourself.

The constitution has no power by itself -- it's a piece of paper --
because the real power lies with the people (always has) and the
people have perpetually failed to act (though it's not too late).

Colin