[Cialug] git in structured environment

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Jul 10 00:33:17 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find git's ability to do versioning to be far superior to CVS and
> SVN (with preference to SVN of the two).  It's ability to do rare,
> routine, and mundane tasks with ease is why I desire to find a
> solution to the posed problem.
>
> Perhaps a new software package based on git is warranted instead of
> using pure git?

In the early days of git there were a number of projects that added a
layer over git... Most of them have been abandoned because git has
gotten a lot easier to use.

I think that most people have problems using Git because they have too
much experience with other VCSs, even other distributed VCSs.  Git
does things differently and until you can wrap your mind around it
using Git can be a struggle.  I know it took me a while to grok what
Git was about.  It doesn't help that the documentation is either a
reference for experienced users or an attempt at "Git for CVS Users"
or "Git for SVN Users".  Neither really help a new user figure out
what's going on...

Jeff