[Cialug] Fast 486's and jumbo shrimp (was: Which Distro is best?)

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Wed Jul 9 17:06:49 CDT 2008

Nathan Stien wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Daniel A. Ramaley
> <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu <mailto:daniel.ramaley at drake.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Wasn't the slowest 486 running at 25 MHz? 8 sounds a bit slow. How
>     fast
>     did Intel go with the 486? I know the 66 MHz version was quite popular
>     for awhile. I seem to (vaguely) remember some late-model 486's at 75
>     and 100 MHz. AMD made a 486 running at 133 MHz (i still have one
>     running in a cardboard box as my firewall). I don't know about any
>     faster than that though.
>

> I find the idea of 133 MHz 486's amusing, mainly because my first
> pentium ran at a blistering 60 MHz.  ~1995, IIRC.
We had one of the first commercially available Pentiums - an AST P-90,
which was a complete lemon. It seemed significantly slower than the
486-100's we were running at the time. Last fall I took the case for
that one out and shot it full of holes at the shooting range. I can't
tell you how satisfying it was to put a couple of .50 BMG holes through
that box.

My first PC I purpose-built had an AMD 486-100, which was pretty much
the fastest processor I could get at the time. It was a pretty good
machine (despite the SiS chipset), lasted me 3 or 4 years as a
workstation, then another couple of years as a server.

-dc