[Cialug] OT: Communications closet

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:52:52 CDT 2008

On 7/3/08, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> What is a good size for a communications closet?  Say - if you need a closet
> on each floor of a building, or per x number of employees.?

Briefly considered this very issue at my last job.  We were heading in
the direction of providing "pods" of cubicles centered around a small
(20U?) rack enclosure.  Network gear in the enclosure would patch out
to the cubicles, then back haul via fiber to the core switching in our
server room.  We were going to support about 15 to 20 users per "pod".

Yes, there would be room to spare in the 20U rack enclosures, as we
would probably only have a couple of switches and one patch panel
(3-5U total?).  These were Engineering types for the most part, so we
could use the extra rack space for a localized server or two to
support special projects in each "pod".  ("pod" == "department" in
this scenario, BTW).

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night