[Cialug] git in structured environment

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 12:52:25 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Eric Junker <eric at eric.nu> wrote:

> git has a post-commit hook which you could probably use to automatically do
> a 'git push' after every commit.

True.  Only problem is that you may not want to push each commit to
your "stable server".  When I use git I practically commit each file
independently or groups of files if the changes are directly linked.
I've also been known to commit a single file in multiple separate
commits (`git add -i` is a shell alias) so I can comment on each
change when they aren't related.

Would having a "stable" branch let me have it both ways?  I could
freely commit to master as I please but any merges with "stable" cause
a post-commit push to the stable server.  Would necessitate that the
stable branch be propagated to the other machines so its the same
everywhere, yes?  That can put the server in a position of having to
resolve a merge conflict if two people commit to their stable branch
at nearly the same time.  Centralized server has the advantage of
being able to force serialization by locking files.

I know I'm wanting this both distributed (I commit on my master branch
however I please) and centralized, but I think to do to the contrary
mostly nullifies the freedom you get with git.

Colin