[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

Dan Hockey icepuck2k at mchsi.com
Tue Jul 8 22:41:21 CDT 2008

In case for some reason some things still don't work with the linux
partitioner, defrag and scandisk in windows, then try it again.
Some linux software may not be able to handle a badly fragmented drive.

If that still doesn't work get partition magic(in windows) and create an
Empty partition by shrinking down the windows partition, do not move it!
To be on the safe side try rebooting into windows to make sure everything
still works, some older versions of windows may freak out and start scandisk
after resizing the windows partition, let scandisk do its thing. If windows
is still working after all of this then take your linux cd and boot from it.

When the installer gets to the partitioning you "should" see an option for
installing linux to an empty partition. Install to the empty partition and
things should take off and install.

The above was derived from many, many screwed up linux installs I've done
Over the years. Before I found this group everything I did was by trying it
to see if it worked, if it didn't I got to format and reinstall everything.

Also it would be better to have another computer to try linux on because if
you mess something up you don't have worry about saving your windows
install.
One last thing you could try, Microsoft virtual pc, it has the ability to
mount the iso directly. That eliminates the problem of trying to burn a
disc. Hope this helps...
-dh