[Cialug] CIALUG gently turned me into a comprehensive vimmer (was: lsof! grep?)

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:00:18 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Chris Freeman <cwfreeman at gmail.com> wrote:
> <flame on>This is because VIM is the end-all and be-all of editors.</flame
no>

Ha, while I certainly agree with that sentiment, I am always relieved to
find how civilized and non-flameful this LUG is.  :-)

I was an emacs guy until I met all these (exceedingly nice and non-pushy)
Vim users at the meetings and decided to roll up my sleeves and fire up
vimtutor.  I have not once run emacs since that day.  I have no vitriol for
emacs; I just found out I personally work faster with a modal input scheme
rather than chording, once I climbed the learning curve.  I even set
readline (and hence bash, ipython, ghci, etc.) to vi-mode in my ~/.inputrc
so I could port my vi "muscle memory" to everything else.  Works well for
me, YMMV.

Now if only the various half-complete attempts at making a standardized
Vim-alike editor component for KDE would work out...  KVimPart is long dead,
and I haven't had the spare time to try to build Yzis (terrible name), since
AFAIK they don't have the KDE glue worked out yet.

- Nathan