[Cialug] Rootkit?

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 20:33:54 CST 2008

I wrote out a reply to Nate's response, but something ate it before it
went out.  I have no idea.

Anyways, here's some more info:

The machine is a laptop running Kubuntu gutsy.

It runs no internet-facing services.  Nmapping it reveals nothing
listening out of the ordinary.  Just smbd, cupsd, and sshd.

However, with iftop I see traffic heading out to 224.0.0.251.  I have
no idea what that is.  Something to do with multicast?

I've also been getting plenty of lines like this in my syslog:

Jan 31 20:17:54 wintermute kernel: [110435.910602] TKIP: received
packet without ExtIV flag from 00:16:b6:0d:21:22

I know of no machine of mine with that MAC address.

- Nathan