[Cialug] Rootkit?

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Jan 31 19:07:02 CST 2008

I'm going to assume it is internet-facing.  Are you running Apache on it?
There were some recent reports....

Do a Google search/check the websites for issues for any internet-facing
packages you have on it.  I got a rootkit from running Drupal once - to give
you an idea of what I mean.

Try running some other basic investigation commands and see if they lie to
you in ways you can tell.  Amount of disk space available or how many
processes are actually running.  Can you watch the wire to see if you are
sending anything strange outbound?

I know you are reluctant to reboot machines - have you rebooted?  Could it
be a bad bit of memory or a memory leak?  Experimental Kernel?

-Nate