[Cialug] mythbusters says to use linux, not vista

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Jan 31 10:15:17 CST 2008

Is he the goofy one that nobody listens to or the serious one?

<opinion>

The lesson nobody seems to learn when taking on MS is not to go head-to-head
with them.  Borland, IBM, Apple, Netscape have all learned this at one time
or another.  Once MS sees competition it goes into seek and destroy,
feeding-frenzy mode.  You have to come at MS sideways - a bit like Google is
doing, by doing stuff that doesn't compete with MS head-to-head and that
changes the computing paradigm in subtle ways.  In the case of Google - if
all your applications are mostly OS-agnostic, you don't care what OS you are
using anymore, there is no reason to pay for Windows.

It is fortunate to that MS is becoming their own worst enemy.  By charging
outrageous licensing fees for very small incremental value (Windows XP ->
Vista, for example) people (individuals) don't have as much incentive to
keep paying into the MS coffers.  I would like to put windows on a few more
machines at home, but I'm too cheap to pay the MS tax to do it, especially
when you have a company like Apple that sells a (reasonably-priced family
license for their OS and linux that can do nearly everything I want without
cost, Windows becomes wasteful.  (admittedly, I would be less likely to do
this if I wasn't as familiar with these alternatives as I am).

I think the tipping point in business is going to be harder to define.  I
Vista had been forced a little harder and cost a little more it might have
done it.  If they do something nasty to trap people's data in SharePoint
that might do it or an outrageous licensing scheme for Exchange, though I'm
not sure how it could get much worse.

These things are cyclical and MS is the new IBM.

</opinion>

-Nate