[Cialug] mythbusters says to use linux, not vista

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 09:12:48 CST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 7:49 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> IE7 takes two tabs to get from the address bar to the search box.
> This annoys me.
> IE7, when I type in "https://m" will autocomplete with
> "https://mail.google.com/".  I like that.
> Firefox autocompletes "https://mail.google.com/mail/#inbox/" damnit.

Todd, I'm with you on that "two tabs to the search bar" deal.  In
civilized browsers, though, I just hit ctrl-K to jump straight to it.

As for the second gripe:  Firefox will autocomplete whatever you want.
 If you actually enter "https://mail.google.com", then that will be in
the candidate list.  You can remove unwanted entries from the
autocomplete list by scrolling to them with the arrow keys and hitting
del.

You could also make a bookmark to gmail in firefox and give it a short
keyword like "m".  Then you just type "m" in the address box and off
you go.

Personally though, I like to use the Gmail Manager extension [1],
since it will periodically check your mail for you and optionally play
a sound / pop up a message / whatever, and it lets you easily manage
multiple gmail accounts.  One click and it will authenticate you to
gmail if you let it keep your password.  And you can encrypt all your
firefox passwords with the firefox's Master Password thing, so you
just put in one password per session.

[1]: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1320

- Nathan