[Cialug] Permissions Assistance Please?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jan 30 12:35:21 CST 2008

Using proftpd I do something like this:

<Directory /path/to/upload/Ftp>
   <Limit RETR, SITE, READ, LIST, MKD, DELE, RMD, CDUP, CWD, MDTM, NLST,
RNFR, X
CUP, XCWD, XPWD>
        DenyAll
   </Limit>
   HideUser  www-data
   GroupOwner www-data
   Umask 011
</Directory>

But better yet is to use webdav, which is incredibly easy now that apache2
is common. Using webdav means the files will be owned by the webserver
automatically.

The problem with using a php upload script is that I don't like messing with
the max upload size of PHP nor do I like long-running apache processes.
Using either of the above, the file can be as large as you have free disk
space.

On Jan 30, 2008 12:03 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to create an FTP "drop-box".  I'd like to make it easy for
> clients to drop files off and easy for internal people to retrieve the
> files.  Right now I am using vsftpd and I have a directory set up under
> /home/ftp called upload for new files.
>
> So far the FTP part works fine.  An anonymous user can drop files into the
> upload folder and they cannot see (ls -lasp etc.) anything that is in the
> folder.
>
> The problem is that I would like to set up a web server that does a
> directory listing of the files that are in the anonymous drop box.  Right
> now the web server runs as www-data and vsftp runs as ftp.
>
> Here are the permissions on the upload folder right now:
>
> 4 drwx-ws-wx 2 root root    4096 Jan 30 11:53 upload/
>
> is there a way to make this work using permissions alone or do I have to
> change the user one of the services run as?  If I set everything to 777 It
> works but I lose the privacy in the ftp directory I was going for.  ls
> -lasp
> will show all the files on the site.
>
> I could use some help or a little lesson in permissions.
>
> As an aside, this isn't going to be in place 24x7.  I will use a rule in
> the
> firewall to flip the FTP availability to 'on' only when we know we have a
> large inbound file.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Nate

Matthew Nuzum