[Cialug] resource friendly IDE

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jan 28 16:17:35 CST 2008

On 1/28/08, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> If you'd normally use eclipse but you're setting up a computer that does not
> have a lot of RAM or CPU and you want to do some development in C/C++, Java
> and Python what would you use? The person I'm referring to isn't actually
> you, its someone who is new to Linux and new to programming. Something with
> a little bit of hand-holding would be nice.

For such a wide variety of languages, I'm not sure you're going to
find a single IDE that doesn't have a little bloat.  Personally, I use
emacs and have very little temptation to try anything else.
Unfortunately, emacs isn't for everyone, even though most computers
today that we think of having "limited RAM and CPU" have more than
enough oomph to run emacs.

Have you actually tried running eclipse on this person's machine?  I'd
say give it a go before dismissing it...  Of course I don't run
eclipse so I don't know how well it performs even on "decent"
machines.

Jeff