[Cialug] Wiki Task Tracking

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 05:26:45 CST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 2:33 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> I've not used mediawiki much, instead my organization uses the python based
> moin moin. I've found it very easy to create plugins and modules and have
> done things like you've described. We have created a graphviz plugin so that
> it will show a graphviz chart in the page. Also we've created "formatters"
> which are plugins that modify the outputs of blocks of wiki markup
> surrounded by {{{    }}}.

Interesting.

> I have to ask, are you sure that a wiki is the right tool for the job?

Yes, I am.  I want the flexibility of a wiki to adapt to whatever it
is we might need to track.  I have a feeling that "what we need to
track" is pretty stable and unchanging, but at this time I want to
allow the tracker to evolve as we get new ideas.

Even more importantly than that, though, is that this wiki is only a
toehold for further installments.  I've set for myself this limited
task-tracking scope, but I want to eventually be keeping documentation
in the wiki and maybe more.  A sister department has started this
(documentation in wiki) and I'm hoping to find some synergy there, but
I need something simple first.

-todd