[Cialug] OT: grins and nostalgia (was Re: USB sensors)

Sean McClanahan sean.mcclanahan at westecnow.com
Fri Jan 18 13:25:35 CST 2008

Oh yes, I remember <g> being used regularly.  I jumped into the BBS
phase full feet in the late 80's, and kept a BBS running for a few years
in the process.  Used RBBS and TriBBS.  I also remember the first time I
saw a smiley; it was in a UseNet newsgroup (back when there was less
noise and more substance).  It looked like this:  (:  and I wondered
what it was at first.  Didn't dawn on me until after a little bit what
exactly I was looking at.

Then there were the ROTFL type of abbreviations...  for a while, there
were only a handful being used.  Today, my kids are just like the cell
phone commercial where the participants talk in "OMG" format.  They
occasionally find themselves talking like they text - which irritates
me.  Looking at their text messages (the few times I'm actually allowed
to), I'm surprised that they can actually understand what is being said.

But I think the best was a resume I received one time, where the
candidate actually used a couple of text shorthands in his work history.
For example, he used "2" instead of "to".

His resume didn't make it past the first phase of review.

Sean