[Cialug] Re: [THEVUG] Screen cast formats?

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Jan 17 17:03:55 CST 2008

Interesting how all of the discussion is going on over on the LUG list,
and we're quiet here.  Since there are two different reasons to do this,
I will reply in both places.

For the VUG, the primary reason to do recording is to raise awareness
and get more people to attend the meetings.  The long-term vision is to
use technologies like Second Life to allow us to "simulcast" our
meetings in virtual worlds and try to get boost our group outside of
just Iowa.

Thus, ideally, we would have something that could do streaming and
still be recorded into a YouTubable format.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Matt Millard" <gocyclones at eml.cc> 01/17/08 2:18 PM >>>

So I've been doing testing of different screen recorders on Linux.
Notes
are here:
http://www.thevug.org/components/com_mambowiki/index.php?title=Screen_cast
One question I'd like to throw out there is what format would we want
post these videos of our presentations in?  We'll likely use the
software to record during LUG meetings too if we have a presenter.
What
I'm thinking of doing is running this in a VM so that it can be
transfered around to different laptops and always have our setup
available.

    * Ogg Theora
       - Open source reference implimentation
       - However not everyone has the codec to view the videos
       - Possible solution is http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/ web
         player for Ogg Theora
    * Flash - YouTube etc.
       - Huge audiance
    * mpeg - iTunes
       - Distributing as a video podcast
    * Streaming?
       - Add IRC to the mix and you could have interaction remotely
with
         the live presentation.
       - uStream.tv

Not all of the software I've tried does all of the formats, but it
should be possible to convert to whatever we need.  So what do you
think
we should be doing?

Matt
---
  Matt Millard
  gocyclones at eml.cc
  http://photos.millardfam.com
  http://urlcutter.net/MattsItems

Groups "The Virtualization Users Group" group.
thevug-unsubscribe at googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/thevug?hl=en