[Cialug] OT: Choose the lesser evil? Save XP?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jan 14 14:34:57 CST 2008

On 1/14/08, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2008 1:27 PM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:
> > Even
> > though we are already on the Microsoft Train on the Microsoft track I
> don't
> > want them to dictate when we have to pay to get to the next stop, or
> which
> > stop that is.  If that makes any sense.
>
> Microsoft could save themselves and the rest of us a lot of headaches
> if they'd follow a model like Canonical does with Ubuntu.  Release
> minor versions which you support for a short period of time, and
> milestone versions which you stand behind for a much longer period of
> time.  Make the schedule standard and regular and we can all plan
> accordingly.

They kind of do that now through their service packs. There was Win95 OEM
SR2, Win 98 second edition, Windows ME, XP SP1 & 2 and Vista SP1 is coming
soon.

With MS and just about anything else, use caution when installing the
x.0release. Hopefully, for MS's sake, Vista SP1 provides a lot of the
polish
that has been lacking in the last year. It currently does a good job of
getting in your way - more so than any other OS I've used.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode