[Cialug] bios fubar?

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 13:28:46 CST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 10:57 AM, Nathan Stien <nathanism at gmail.com> wrote:
> I advise you not to deep-discharge lithium-ion batteries.  It is not
> good for them -- it's bad even to leave a mostly-discharged one
> sitting on a shelf.  Deep-discharge helps with other battery
> technologies like Ni-Cd and NiMH, but Li-Ion batteries have safety
> issues when deeply discharged, and generally contain circuitry to
> prevent them from going too low.

Apple actually recommends a "conditioning" process for their Li-Ion
batteries which involves:
1) Running the battery down until the point the system shuts down
automatically.  The system usually goes into sleep mode around 3% to
5% remaining.
2) Removing the battery or leaving the system powered off and
unplugged for several hours (5 or 8?).
3) Recharging the battery.

I haven't the time to dig up the link on their site, but I've been
following their advice and doing this every few months.  Either they
are trying to sell more batteries, or there is enough safety logic
built into the battery to avoid issues.  Given the fact that I'm on my
third battery (both replaced under warranty so far, both bulging at
their seams when returned), I'm inclined to believe the former.
Especially in light of the knowledge Nathan has shared.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

My GNUPG public key is available at http://www.kristau.net/public_key.asc