[Cialug] Meeting and free stuff - Wed Jan 16th

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Jan 14 12:49:25 CST 2008

Just a reminder that we will be having a meeting this coming Wednesday,
January 16th.  We do have a holdover from the last meeting, and I
believe that Dave Weis will be talking about some networking toys with
which he has been playing.

After that, the scheduled topic is "Office Applications".  This will
likely be  roundtable where we talk about different apps and tips/tricks
for using them.  Personally, I would be interested to see who is using
Open Office's extension/plugin functionality and which modules are
good.

Just in case that isn't enough to tempt anyone, we also have two
drawing drawing prizes:

1) Sony Vaio PCG-F430 laptop.  This laptop that was BRAND NEW in early
2000 sports a 0.450 GHz Pentium 3, and a 14.1" LCD screen capable of
resolutions up to 1024x384 (screen cracked, only half works).  It has
both a parallel port AND a serial port.  Oh, it has those little square
new serial ports too.  It comes with an IR port that may or may not be
supported under Linux, a battery that may or may not hold a charge, and
two PCMCIA slots.  It also has a built-in DVD drive in case you want to
watch the top half of a movie.

2) Dell PowerEdge 2450 rack-mount server.  This machine is older than
the dirt that was on it when we removed it from the data center.
Judging from the layers, I'd guess that it was made in late 2000.  It
comes with two Seagate Cheetah drives that came all the way from
Singapore!  They're probably 18Gb in size.  It has RAM and a CPU in it,
but I don't care enough to turn it on and tell you what it is.  Consider
it a mystery server.

Lastly, Alliance is going through a bit of a cleanup process.  There is
a pile of hardware - both esoteric and not - that is free for anyone to
take.  You don't even have to make a drawing of an open source
idea/project/brand in order to win it.  Just fill up a box and go.

Hope to see several of you on Wednesday.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701