[Cialug] OT: Which Intel processor is 64 bit?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jan 11 16:36:19 CST 2008

On 1/11/08, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> Is there an easy way to know which Intel processors support 64 bit linux?
> Is the 64 bit Intel kernel the same as for the AMD processors that support
> 64 bit?

Core 2 is 64bit. the Intel Core Duo is not.

I don't know how to tell based on /proc/cpuinfo though.

The Core 2 is compatible with AMD64 (which I find to be a bit of irony
considering all these years AMD was compatible with Intel). Therefore the
same kernel is used for both Intel and AMD 64bit CPUs.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode