[Cialug] external hdd, laptop, clean unmounts

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Jan 8 13:55:09 CST 2008

 If you want to avoid corrupting your journal, you will need to use
multiple drives and keep your various journals on multiple physical
media.  Then, for speed reasons, you can write a script that will load
balance the read/writes necessary for both the data and the metadata.
Then, you could write a script that would monitor the status of
everything and intercept the mount and umount commands so that
everything is done cleanly at all times, thereby maintaining system
state.

Or you could use RAID 5.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com> 01/08/08 1:29 PM >>>

I think that's covered in the manual under Chapter 13: How to corrupt
your journal and lose all of your data.

Maybe I'm missing what the OP was looking for, but I just do a "umount

/mnt/mydrive" before removing my USB drives.

-dc