[Cialug] external hdd, laptop, clean unmounts

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Tue Jan 8 13:22:48 CST 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 00:43, kristau wrote:
>Is it possible to target your journal to a different device?

Why, yes it is. See mke2fs(8), specifically the -J option with
the "device=" argument.

>If so, you could set a location on the internal HD as the journal
>target for the external HD and turn on sync and full data journaling.
>Then when you unplugged the device, the journal would not risk becoming
>corrupt, and it could correct problems upon the next remount.  Not even
>sure if that is possible, though.

That's a very interesting idea. I don't think it would work very well
for the case of unplugging the external drive from the computer this
was set up on and then plugging it in somewhere else. (And if you are
never going to move the drive, then why bother with an external in the
first place?) And i'm not sure if it would work at all as you describe.
It seems to me that it might work. It might be educational to play with
it and find out.