[Cialug] external hdd, laptop, clean unmounts

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jan 7 09:22:34 CST 2008

I now have a USB hard drive for doing backups and storing less frequently
used data. It needs to be plugged into the wall and for various reasons I
don't want to carry it around with me whenever I want to work in another
room/building.

Right now, my USB hub has my keyboard, mouse and laser printer plugged into
it. The beauty is that none of those things complain if I just unplug the
cord and walk away. I'd like to plug my hdd into the hub as well.

However, the hdd is not happy if I yank the cord and walk away. I get the
nasty "Unsafe device removal" warning box and if I do it too many times,
presumably I'll lose data too. I tend to move around a lot. Presumably I'll
move around far more frequently than I'll use the ext hdd.

Anyone know a way to set things up so that I can just unhook without a
second thought?

 * Goal 1: Not loose data, assuming the light on the front of the drive has
stopped blinking before I unplug
 * Goal 2 (optional): Not get the "unsafe device removal" warning

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode