[Cialug] usb audio adapter or usb microphone

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jan 4 09:18:47 CST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 7:49 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> On 1/4/08, James Shoemaker <james at dhlake.com> wrote:
> >
> >   Trying to setup a laptop with video-conferencing software, but it has
> > no mike-in and the built-in mike sucks.  So I need a usb mike or usb
> > audio adapter.  Any idea where to get one in town?  I need it by next
> > weekend and would rather not pay twice what the item is worth just for
> > fast shipping.
>
> Many USB web cams have a built-in microphone for just this purpose.

Yes, but using a mic built into a camera or computer for video conferencing
is less than ideal, since they pick up all the noise from typing, ambient
noise and etc. Best to get a headset. That being said, my logitech web cam's
mic works (I just mute my microphone until I need to talk).

I've used a couple dirt-cheap usb sound cards (and more expensive ones too)
and they all worked perfectly in Linux. You should be able to pick up one
and plug it in to get a mic input. I had a USB port replicator with a built
in sound card that had full inputs. However spending $80 for a port
replicator also may be less than ideal.

One thing I haven't tried that may be worth investigating is to use a
bluetooth headset for the microphone. If the laptop has bluetooth you may
just be able to use one of those borg like wireless headsets designed for
cell phones.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode