[Cialug] Subtle spam attacks

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Feb 27 13:52:00 CST 2008

There are malware attacks that harvest Outlook address books.  It sounds
like one of yours was harvested and the data is now in the hands of some
spammer.

You might want to check that all of your antimalware apps are running
properly.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Nathan Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> 02/26/08 11:17 AM >>>

We have seen some recent spam attacks that have us concerned.  The
sender names in the email messages are variations of the names of real
people (clients) we would correspond with.  The address might contain a
first name from one person and a random or synthetic name for the last
name.  And different variations of this.

The disconcerting part is how a spammer might gather this kind of
information in order to formulate attacks.  It is almost like they have
access to our body of email or some portion of it in order to gather
these names to use.

Is there a name for this?  Is anyone else seeing anything like this?

Thanks.

-Nate