[Cialug] SSH w/ chroot

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 14:06:05 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> That looks exciting! FTP is so dead (to me) and the only secure, firewall friendly alternative is dav over https which has a host of other complications associated with it.

Yeah, I'm often amazed at how widespread FTP still is for uses that
really require privacy/security.  Even telnet.  I try to gently warn
people about this, but I usually get blank stares or derision.  I am
basically allergic to protocols that send passwords in the plain, and
I wish it were a more contagious condition.

Back at my university about 6-7 years ago, they were still telling
students to check their email by telnetting into an ancient SunOS box
and running pine.  And the dorms were mostly on hubs.  And they
wondered why their web-based student council elections always seemed
to get such screwy results...

The tech people there realized this was an awful setup and campaigned
to get the university to use ssh and better security generally, but it
took a long time before anyone listened to them.

- Nathan