[Cialug] Wiki Suggestion Request

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Feb 15 11:07:35 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> The Fedora Project currently uses Moin Moin, but we're going to be
> switching away probably to MediaWiki.  The reasons we're switching is
> because it doesn't scale very well (the Fedora Project's wiki is
> probably the largest/busiest Moin Moin installation out there) and
> because the upstream Moin Moin developers don't seem very eager to
> accept patches that the Fedora Project has developed.
>
> Moin Moin uses plain files on disk as it's backend storage.  That
> makes it simple to install and backup, but doesn't scale well - on the
> Fedora Project wiki it could take minutes to do common operations like
> save your edits or do searches.

Supposedly this is improved dramatically in Moin 1.6 because of a better
search engine in that version. Also, we had the same scalability problems on
wiki.ubuntu.com that you mentioned and they were greatly mitigated when we
switched to mod_python. Also, if you think about it, MySQL's database tables
are also file based so having a file-based storage doesn't automatically
make your system slower.

However, I will say that mediawiki is far more popular of a wiki and if you
want the safe choice, you may go that route. I think it's getting more
developer attention than Moin.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode