[Cialug] Install Troubles

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Feb 13 17:40:36 CST 2008

Please ensure to send your mail to the list, not to me directly. Other
comments below.

On Feb 13, 2008 4:30 PM, <murraymckee at wellsfargo.com> wrote:

>  Matthew
> I have two physical drives.  "C" is the old Windows 95 drive.  S/B about 6
> Gig.  "D" was empty until Linux was installed on it.
>
> Windows started up with a scan because it wasn't shut down correctly last
> time and said it found some place on the hard drive that needed fixed and I
> said go a head and it did.  Now windows won't boot.
>
> Results of fdisk
>
> disk /dev/sda  1614 MB  ** That seems way too small
> 64 heads ** This seems way too large
>
> /dev/sda * 1 780 W95 FAT32
>
> disk /dev/sdb 10.6 GB
> 255 heads ** This seems way too large as well
>
> /dev/sdb1 * 1 1200 Linux
> /dev/sdb2 1201 1245 Extended
> /dev/sdb5 1201 1245 Linux swap / Solaris
>
> It looks to me like the last two have been assigned the same range of
> cylinders.
>
> So it looks like both hard drives have been marked as bootable.
>
> I updated my machine to 128 MB ram after it failed to boot Linux with the
> 32 that it had when it ran Windows.  That's as much as the mother board will
> accept.
>
> Boot Sequence is currently set to
> floppy
> CD
> HD1 = "C"
> not used
>
> When I try to start windows it comes up and allows you to F1 into setup
>
> After that it scans the 128 MB of memory
>
> It attempts to read the empty floppy drive and then does a hard power
> off.  I'm assuming that it tries to read the CD as well, but I can't hear
> it.
>
> The errors are happening during the install.
>
> I'm on a slow phone line.  Good connections are 22K - 24K connections and
> they degrade to slower speeds as large files down load.  Downloading a CD is
> not a practical
>
> P.S. what command do I issue to close the terminal window?
> Thanks,

With 128M of memory you'll need to use the "alternate CD" method of
installation instead of the live CD. Even then Ubuntu and Kubuntu aren't
ideal for a computer like this. There is Xubuntu, designed for older
computers. However, using the text mode installer I've run Ubuntu OK on 128M
of RAM on a 550MHz PC.

Do you have a laptop? Can you stop in at a Panera or the mall for lunch and
download the CD and burn it?

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode