[Cialug] nslookup works but ping cannot resolve

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 13:06:56 CST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 12:53 PM, Paul Gray <gray at cs.uni.edu> wrote:
> Then, the course of diagnostics that I would suggest:
>   <strace & tcpdump instructions snipped>

I sincerely appreciate the pointers, but I have a question:

When I try to ping a local hostname on my network, the name never
resolves, so ping never emits any ICMP packets.  Would your above
advice still be relevant?  Your tips here seem to involve looking at
ICMP traffic which doesn't occur.  The remote host never gets any
indication that my laptop tried to ping it, since my laptop can't
figure out which IP to ping.

- Nathan