[Cialug] nslookup works but ping cannot resolve

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 12:50:39 CST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 12:42 PM, John Lengeling <John.Lengeling at radisys.com> wrote:
> Is the firewall enabled?

Nope.  And keep in mind I can resolve google.com and other external
domain names.  And I can access local network machines by their
numeric IPs.  And, as mentioned, I can still resolve local names with
nslookup.  All of these factors would seem to indicate it's not a
firewall problem.

> I would start breaking out a packet sniffer and see if the packet is
> getting out or if it is going out a wrong interface.

That does pique my curiosity -- is it really generating a DNS request?
 I will have to bust out a sniffer when I get home.  Thanks for the
suggestion, John.

I haven't sniffed any packets in a long time.  What tools do the cool
kids use these days?  I used to use ettercap and etherial.

- Nathan