[Cialug] eee PC

James Shoemaker james at dhlake.com
Fri Feb 1 10:38:00 CST 2008

Brandon Griffis wrote:
> I have a friend on another Linux list that won't shut up about them.  But
> honestly I don't get it.  If it were really an inexpensive option, then yes
> it'd be rather interesting.  But you can get a "real" laptop for <$400 these
> days.  If they were really the initially advertised $200 then it'd be
> interesting, but as most are pushing $400 or more I really don't see the
> point.

   Where's the $400 laptop with 3.5 hr battery life, or even 2.5 hr
battery life?  That weighs what the eee does.  And is as small as the
eee is.
   It's the battery life and size that attract me to the eee, not just
the price.

> I do think there's a market for something like this if they can put a decent
> size screen on it and give at least 4GB for the OS and still keep it around
> $200.  But so far nothing I've seen comes close.

   What's a decent sized screen?  One of the big advantages of the eee,
it's small size, if you make the screen much larger it would have to
make the whole thing bigger.

James