[Cialug] CentOS Yum error

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Tue Aug 12 16:16:42 CDT 2008

Zachary Kotlarek wrote:

> I'm not saying there's no place for package managers. I'm often too lazy
> to build an inventory when I install new things, which make
> un-installation a hassle, and a package manager would fix that. And if
> you want to install gnome or some other huge set of packages it's nice
> to compile once on your fast machine and never again anywhere else.

You might like the Slackware package manager. Slackware packages are
just .tgz files that get extracted in the root directory. They can also
have a post installation script. Packages have dependencies but the
packages manger does not check for them, rather it leaves dependency
management up to the sysadmin. A package database is created to allow
packages to be removed and upgraded.

Eric