[Cialug] CentOS Yum error

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Aug 12 10:36:58 CDT 2008

Wait until a maintenance window.
Force the removal of the RPM that you think caused the problem.
Rebuild the RPM database.
Run  rpm -Va to verify that the rpm database matches the state of your
system (if you have people forcing RPM installations, odds are this will
result in a LOT of things that must be manually verified).
Fix everything that's broken.
Try to re-install the git rpm, look at what it complains about.
Depending on why git refused to install, you may need to grab an
earlier version or compile a source rpm to match your system.

You should also smack the idiot that forced an rpm install on a
production system without adequate reason and planning for the future.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

Dave Weis wrote:

> Try
> rpm --rebuilddb
> but I don't think that will help. There seems to be something else
going
> on.

Yeah, I think one of my guys forced something when he installed this:

[root at texinst1 ~]# rpm -qa | grep git
git-1.5.2.1-1.el5.rf

And I don't know how to resolve it. I can't remove the rpms during the
day.