[Cialug] Google using Silverlight?

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Thu Aug 7 09:50:51 CDT 2008

Looks like Google (actually Doubleclick) is going to use Silverlight for
some ads:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9111681&source=NLT_WS&nlid=20

This seems odd to me, being that Silverlight is so new, and so not
cross-platform. The article does say that they'll also be using Flash
and other formats, I'm guessing they can detect which player you have
available???

The other thing I find odd is the focus of the article is how Google is
beating MS to the "Silverlight advertising space". I don't see how that
really matters... the "ad space" that matters is the web sites the ads
are on, not the player used to view them (although from the end-user
perspective, if you don't have a player that's supported on your
platform... you can't view the content anyway). It's kind of like saying
Panasonic is beating Sony in ads because more people use their cameras
to film them.

-dc