[Cialug] Microsoft's attempts to overcome Vista preconceptions

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon Aug 4 13:04:40 CDT 2008

I thought I'd weigh in on the subject since my Laptop came with Vista.  I've
seen some good and bad things about Vista.  First, the good:

When installing a game, the game automatically got added to the Games menu.
Of course, I'm guessing that's based on a list of executable names, so newer
games might not fair as well.

I wanted to rename a picture from DSCF0001.JPG to SomethingMeaningful.JPG.
When I clicked on it to rename it, everything but the JPG was selected, so I
could change the name of the file more easily.  Of course, if you want to
change the extension, you can press Ctrl-A to select the entire name, and
start typing the new name.

I had a bunch of pictures that I was sending to someone.  I noticed in
Windows Explorer, there was a button that said that I could create a movie.
Neat.  I created a movie, which was basically a self-contained slide show.

Renaming of "Documents and Settings" to Users.  I always thought that was
stupid.  I need to get to my files, so I need to go to a directory called
Documents and Settings?  Of course, they moved things around within the
directory, so if you're trying to find your Firefox profile, you'll have to
hunt it down again.  And there are always those ill-behaved apps that "know"
things go into "Documents and Settings", so they'll create the directory and
put them there instead of using the built-in tools to figure out where to
put files.

Adding your user folder to the Desktop, Start Menu, and Windows Explorer.
Now you can go to your directory more easily.

Start Menu Search.  Nice, but I don't use it that much.

Eye candy.  I like having a semi-transparent Start Bar so my wallpaper shows
through.

Now the bad:

Slow.  I have 2GB in my laptop, and my laptop runs slower than my desktop
with XP.  My desktop has 1GB, and is an older/slower processor.

Inconsistent.  Since finding the button that said I could create a movie
from the pictures, I haven't seen it again.

Drag-and-drop bug.  Say you have an app open, and you want to drag and drop
a file into that app.  In previous versions of Windows, when you would drag
the file to the taskbar, the task bar would appear and you could drop it on
your app of choice.  For some reason, now the taskbar remains hidden (if you
have auto-hide turned on).  So you basically have to guess where your app
was on the taskbar.

Games.  Some higher-end games just don't work.  If you force the game back
to DX9, it works better.  (Note, this is not something I've experienced, but
I've heard that this is true).

Defrag doesn't show progress.  All it says is the process could take from
several minutes to several hours.  You had a defrag that would show you the
status.  This is progress?

Non-Cascading Start Menu.  Bleh.

UAC.  Sure, you can turn it off, but then you're nagged about it every time
you boot.  It would be better if it remembered the request for a few
minutes, like Ubuntu does.

Send To changed.  I used to be able to create a folder with shortcuts in it
within Send To (like viewing a file with less, or editing a file with
emacs).  Then I could right click a file, select Send To, select my folder,
then select the app I want to send the file to.  Now, when you create a
folder within Send To, Vista assumes you want to send the file to that
folder.  Really?  I want to send a file to a folder buried within a system
folder?

"Security".  Vista makes finding certain folders more difficult, like the
Send To folder.  You have to change permissions and ownership to see the
folder.  That's also true for the Services file.  So you've written an app,
and you want to add the port it uses to the Services file.  You need to take
ownership of the file before doing so, even as administrator.  This is their
idea of security?

I'm sure there are others, but you get the general idea.  They "broke" a lot
of things between versions, and haven't really shown they're willing to fix
them.  I had planned to put XP and Ubuntu on my laptop, but with XP getting
harder to find, I might just have to stick with Vista and Ubuntu.

Tim