[Cialug] OT Again: Google Earth

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 17:08:08 CDT 2008

If you make a "My Map" on maps.google.com you can "View in Google
Earth" which yields you a KML file.  Here's a blurb from a map of mine
that you should be able to see at

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114940208373600226216.000001122a1a6ddb95029&z=7

A very, very small portion of the KML is as follows but it's just
repeating the <Style> and <Placemark> so you're not losing anything
informative:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">
<Document>
  <name>Iowa State Parks &amp; Recreation Areas</name>
  <description><![CDATA[State Parks and other recreational areas as
listed by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.]]></description>
  <Style id="style6">
    <IconStyle>
      <Icon>
        <href>http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/ms/icons/blue-dot.png</href>
      </Icon>
    </IconStyle>
  </Style>
  <Style id="style23">
    <IconStyle>
      <Icon>
        <href>http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/ms/icons/blue-dot.png</href>
      </Icon>
    </IconStyle>
  </Style>
  <Placemark>
    <name>Brushy Creek</name>
    <description><![CDATA[]]></description>
    <styleUrl>#style6</styleUrl>
    <Point>
      <coordinates>-93.984177,42.392151,0.000000</coordinates>
    </Point>
  </Placemark>
  <Placemark>
    <name>Springbrook</name>
    <description><![CDATA[]]></description>
    <styleUrl>#style23</styleUrl>
    <Point>
      <coordinates>-94.467743,41.773743,0.000000</coordinates>
    </Point>
  </Placemark>
</Document>
</kml>

The styles are for the marker shown on the map.

Again, gpsbabel will convert pretty much any GPS format into KML.

Colin