[Cialug] OT Variety of things

Nathan Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Fri Apr 25 21:45:30 CDT 2008

GPSd works with a lot of GPS units.  The output is very basic.  DPSDrive works with GPSd.

The biggest problem with open source GPS mapping software is that most maps are copyrighted.  Google Earth/Maps may help with that.  GPSDrive used to download maps from yahoo or mapquest or something like that.  Then there are the issues with old maps and new roads.

As far as the bizzare accuracy, is this an older GPS or a newer one?  Older ones were subject to imposed inaccuracies, newer ones have better satellite accuracy and are allowed to be more accurate.  I have an older handheld Garmin and I can leave it in once place and watch myself "move" on the screen, sometimes in fairly large jumps.

-Nate