[Cialug] Power Down

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 16:03:20 CDT 2008

Reducing the Amount of Juice Electronic Gadgets Consume
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/24/technology/personaltech/24pogue-email.html?ex=1366776000&en=ff959d21e7261079&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

NY Times article about "vampire electronics".  Home electronics that
suck power even when they're off.  The Energy Department guesses that
25 percent of the power the average piece of electronics consumes is
consumed while turned off.

The beef of the article is to shill for the APC Power-Saving
SurgeArrest surge protector.  It's a nifty idea: the you plug your
computer into a "master" plug-in, and then your printer and monitor
and speakers and all those other gadgets into slave outlets.  When
whatever is plugged into the master outlet stops drawing power the
strip cuts power to the slave outlets.  So, when you turn your
computer off all your other stuff gets turned off too.

I leave my computer on all the time, normally, but I've been trying to
turn it off when I go to work.  500W all day long can get to be a
serious energy bill.

-todd