[Cialug] OT direct tv

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Tue Apr 22 22:43:21 CDT 2008

If you have or can get a standard definition DirecTV Tivo, you can use
it.  However, if you want to get one from DirecTV, you're outta luck.
They have their own DVR model now.  I've heard mixed reviews on it.
>From what I can tell, it is a lot better than it was when it first
came out.  It is my understanding that the DirecTV HD Tivos won't work
(or soon won't work) because of changes in how the signal is
compressed.  They're transitioning from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, and since
the Tivos do hardware decoding, they can't decode the signal.  I'm not
sure if the transition has happened yet, but it sounds like it is
coming.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Dan Hockey <icepuck2k at mchsi.com> wrote:
> Does any one know if direct tv still uses tivo for their dvr/receivers?
> -dh

Tim